Any organization (including 501 (c)(3), (c)(4) and (c)(6) organizations), person, group of persons, candidate campaign committee, or political committee that makes expenditures in a calendar year in excess of:
- $10,000 to advocate the passage or defeat of a statewide referendum
- $5,000 to advocate the passage or defeat of a referendum being held in two or more counties and cities
- $1,000 to advocate the passage or defeat of a referendum held in a single county or city
are required to submit a Statement of Organization and disclose its financial activity to the Virginia Department of Elections (ELECT).
Note: Any advertisement supporting or opposing a referendum on the ballot is exempt from Political Advertisement disclaimer requirements.
Laws and Policies
Basic Reporting Requirements
- Referendum committees follow the candidate’s reporting schedule
- E-Filers must file their reports by 5:00 p.m. on the report’s deadline
- Paper Filers must submit their reports in the required office no later than 5:00 p.m. on the deadline. For paper filers filing with ELECT, paper reports will be considered timely if the report is postmarked on the deadline
- Additional reports are due within three business days after a committee receives a single contribution $10,000 or more