The State Board of Elections is authorized to prescribe standard forms for voter registration and elections, and to supervise, coordinate, and adopt regulations governing the work of local electoral boards, registrars, and officers of election. The Department of Elections is authorized to establish and maintain a statewide automated voter registration system to include procedures for ascertaining current addresses of registrants; to require cancellation of records for registrants no longer qualified; to provide electronic application for voter registration and absentee ballots; and to provide electronic delivery of absentee ballots to eligible military and overseas voters.
Election Law and Reference
- Virginia Election Laws (Title 24.2)
- Federal Election Laws
Regulations and Guidance Documents
- Virginia Administrative Code (Agency 20)
- State Board of Elections Guidance Documents
- State Board of Elections Pending Regulatory Actions
Recounts and Contests
State Board of Election Policies
- SBE Policy 2021-001: Stand By Your Ad Hearings (.pdf)
- SBE Policy 2019-001 - Candidate Filings for Special Elections (.pdf)
- SBE Policy 2015-001 – Electronic Participation in Meetings (.pdf)
- SBE Policy 2014-004 – Voting Equipment Certification Procedures (.pdf)
- SBE Policy 2010-003 – Current Candidate Filings (.pdf)
- SBE Policy 2016-001 – Training Standards (.pdf)
- SBE Policy 2010-001 – Delinquent Civil Penalties (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2009-006 – Provisional Ballots (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2009-003 – Voter History Include Absentee (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2009-002 – Display Campaign Material (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2009-001 – Voting Equipment Security (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2008-013 – Calculation of Voters Voting in Precinct (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2008-011 – Definition of Unavailable Voting Equipment (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2008-007 – Definition of “Exhibit Other Campaign Materials” (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2008-005 – Reproduction of Optical Scan Ballots (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2008-004 – Definition of Inoperable Equipment (.pdf)
- SBE Policy-2008-003 – Certification of Unknown Vice-Presidential Nominees (.pdf)
Help America Vote Act of 2002 (HAVA)
What is the Help America Vote Act?
The Help America Vote Act of 2002 (HAVA) is a federal law that created minimum standards for election administration following the 2000 Presidential election. For more information regarding HAVA and for the full text of the law, please visit the U.S. Election Assistance Commission.
When was the final state plan adopted?
The 2012 HAVA state plan was adopted at the March 20, 2012 meeting of the Virginia State Board of Elections following an opportunity for public review and comment.
What is a HAVA state plan?
Every state received federal grant funds under HAVA to implement the requirements of the law and improve the administration of federal elections. In order to receive the funding, each state had to create and maintain a plan for how the federal funds would be utilized by the state.
Where can I view the prior HAVA state plan for the Commonwealth of Virginia?
You can view the 2003 state plan and the 2005 and 2006 amendments through the following links:
Additional Regulation and Guidance Documents