If you are voting on Election Day, you will go to your polling place to submit your ballot in person.
When to Vote
6:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. on Election Day.
As long as you are in line by 7:00 p.m. , you will be allowed to vote. For your vote to count, you need to be at the correct polling place.
Where to Vote
- On Election Day, you will vote in person at your local polling place. Your polling place is determined by your home address.
- Where is my polling place? Look up my polling place >>>
- Contact my local voter registration office with questions: Find my General Registrar >>>
- If you move, your polling place will change. Please be sure to change your voter registration address every time you move.
- What if I am at the wrong polling place? You will need to go to your correct polling place and arrive by 7:00 p.m. on Election Day for your vote to count. Please check your polling place now, to be sure you know where to go!
- Check your polling place now: Online polling place lookup >>>
What to Bring?
Virginia law now requires voters to show acceptable Photo ID to vote in person. Your acceptable Photo ID is the only thing you are required to show to vote in person.
What to expect at the polls
- When you arrive, you’ll see election officers who are there to help you.
- Go right to the check-in table, where you will be asked to:
- Say your name and address out loud.
- Show your photo ID.
- If you are not on the voter list, an election officer will direct you to register and vote provisionally.
- If you’re on the voter list, you’ll be directed to the ballot table, where you will get your ballot.
- Double-check that your ballot includes all the contests for the districts that you live in.
- You can move to a voting booth and vote your ballot.
See your ballot in advance
Your ballot may list candidate names and may also ask you to vote on important constitutional amendments or referendums. It is helpful to see the language on your ballot in advance, to review your options and form your opinion. This can save you time at the polls!