Do I Need An ID to Vote?
Voters may provide either an acceptable form of ID or sign an ID Confirmation Statement at the polls.
You can show any of the following IDs to vote:
- Voter confirmation documents
- Virginia driver’s license*
- Virginia DMV-issued photo ID
- United States passport
- Employer-issued photo ID
- Student ID issued by any community college or university located in the United States
- Other U.S. or Virginia government-issued photo ID
- Tribal enrollment or other tribal photo ID
- Virginia Voter Photo ID card
- A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document containing the name and address of the voter
- For a more detailed list of acceptable IDs
- Virginia Photo IDs Statistics >>>
* Your DMV license may be used at any time. Virginia law permits an expired DMV license to be used for voting purposes.
Can I vote if I forget my ID?
Yes! If you get to your polling place without acceptable ID, you can sign an ID statement affirming your identity, you will be able to vote a regular ballot.
If you do not sign an ID statement to affirm your identity you may vote a provisional ballot. You will be provided instructions to ensure your vote will count.