IDs Required to Vote
Virginia law requires you to show one acceptable ID to vote.
You can show any of the following IDs to vote:
- Voter confirmation documents
- Virginia driver’s license*
- Virginia DMV-issued photo ID
- United States passport
- Employer-issued photo ID
- Student ID issued by any community college or university located in the United States
- Other U.S. or Virginia government-issued photo ID
- Tribal enrollment or other tribal photo ID
- Virginia Voter Photo ID card
- A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document containing the name and address of the voter
- For a more detailed list of acceptable IDs
- Virginia Photo IDs Statistics >>>
* Your DMV license may be used at any time. Virginia law permits an expired DMV license to be used for voting purposes.
Can I vote if I forget my ID?
Yes! If you get to your polling place without acceptable ID, you can sign an ID statement affirming your identity, you will be able to vote a regular ballot.
If you do not sign an ID statement to affirm your identity you may vote a provisional ballot. You will be provided instructions to ensure your vote will count.