For Immediate Release:
Contact For More Information:
Andrea M. Gaines
Absentee Voting for the 2019 General Election Begins Friday, September 20
RICHMOND, VA – Absentee voting for the November 5, 2019 General Election begins statewide on Friday, September 20, 2019. Qualified Virginia voters may vote absentee in-person at their local voter registration office or by mail.
To vote absentee, registered voters must meet one of 20 eligibility requirements listed on the Virginia Absentee Ballot Application and at www.elections.virginia.gov/absentee.
"If you can’t make it to the polls on Election Day, casting an absentee ballot is a great option," said Department of Elections Commissioner Christopher Piper.
Voters can request an absentee ballot online at www.elections.virginia.gov/absentee.
Important dates to remember if voting in the November 5 General Election:
- The deadline to register to vote for the November General Election is Tuesday, October 15,
- The deadline to apply for an absentee ballot by mail is 5 p.m. on Tuesday, October 29,
- In-person absentee voting is available Monday through Friday during regular voting registration office hours, and on Saturday, October 26, 2019 and Saturday, November 2, To find information about your local voter registration office, visit www.elections.virginia.gov/vro
- The deadline to vote absentee in-person is Saturday, November 2,
- The deadline for voter registration offices to receive absentee ballots is 7 p.m. on Election Day, November 5, 2019.
If requesting an absentee ballot by mail, the Department of Elections advises applying as early as possible to account for any potential delays in mail delivery.
Virginia law requires voters to present an acceptable photo ID when voting in-person. For a list of acceptable forms of photo identification, or to find out how to obtain a free Virginia Voter Photo ID Card, please visit www.elections.virginia.gov/voterid
To find more about the November General Election, visit vote.virginia.gov.