The Electoral College consists of 538 electors. A majority of 270 electoral votes is required to elect the President. Virginia’s entitled allotment of electors equals the number of members in its Congressional delegation: one for each member in the House of Representatives plus two for its Senators. The Commonwealth of Virginia has 13 electoral votes.
See more of the history associated with the Electoral College in the digital collection just released by the Library of Virginia. A few highlights of the collection include: returns for the election of George Washington in 1789; the Journal of the College of Electors of Virginia from 1804 to 1856; and more >>
Find More Information Here:
- Electors - See the members of the 2016 Electoral College
- Pages - Learn more about the pages assisting the 2016 Electoral College
- Educator's Corner - See resources for classroom instruction
- Virginia Capitol - Learn more about the venue and its history
- Video Streaming - Watch the broadcast of December 19, 2016