Virginia Capitol building
The cornerstone for the Virginia Capitol building was laid on August 18, 1785. In 1786, a set of architectural drawings and a plaster model were sent from France to Virginia, where it was executed by Samuel Dobie. The General Assembly met in the mostly finished structure in October 1788.
In 1904, two wings (not in the original plans) were added to the east and west ends of the building to provide additional space for the legislature. In 2004, renovation, restoration and expansion of the Capitol was completed on May 1, 2007.
The Virginia Capitol building is one of only twelve Capitols in the United States without an external dome.
The Senate first met in its Chamber, or West Wing, in 1906 following the completion of the Capitol wings designed by John K. Peebles.
The Library of Virginia has a variety of records scattered across several collections (Secretary of the Commonwealth, Office of the Governor, Virginia General Assembly, and State Board of Elections) related to the Virginia Electoral College from 1789 to 2012. The Electoral College Digital Collection brings all of this material together in one place and makes it accessible online.
Individuals visiting the Capitol building will be asked to pass through metal detectors and all personal belongings will be searched. Due to these security measures currently in place, it is advisable to leave all non-essential personal items in your vehicle.