Any organization (including 501 (c)(3), (c)(4) and (c)(6) organizations), person, group of persons, candidate campaign committee, or political committee that makes expenditures in a calendar year in excess of:
- $10,000 to advocate the passage or defeat of a statewide referendum
- $5,000 to advocate the passage or defeat of a referendum being held in two or more counties and cities
- $1,000 to advocate the passage or defeat of a referendum held in a single county or city
are required to submit a Statement of Organization and disclose its financial activity to the Virginia Department of Elections (ELECT).
Any advertisement supporting or opposing a referendum on the ballot is exempt from Political Advertisement disclaimer requirements.
- 2016 Referendum Cover Sheet
- 2015 Referendum Cover Sheet
- 2014 Referendum Cover Sheet
- 2014 Referendum Committee Complete Reporting Forms
- 2013 Referendum Cover Sheet
- 2013 Referendum Committee Complete Reporting Forms
- 2012 Referendum Cover Sheet
- 2012 Referendum Committee Complete Reporting Forms
- Final Report Cover Sheet
Basic Reporting Requirements
- Referendum committees follow the candidate’s reporting schedule
- E-Filers must file their reports by 5:00 p.m. on the report’s deadline
- Paper Filers must submit their reports in the required office no later than 5:00 p.m. on the deadline. For paper filers who file with the Virginia Department of Elections, paper reports will be considered timely if the report is postmarked on the deadline
- Additional reports are due within three business days after a committee receives a single contribution $10,000 or more
- Referendum Committee – 2016 Reporting Deadlines
- Referendum Committee – 2015 Reporting Deadlines
- Referendum Committee – 2014 Reporting Deadlines
- Referendum Committee – 2013 Reporting Deadlines
- Referendum Committee – 2012 Reporting Deadlines
Regular Campaign Finance Reporting Forms
|Schedule A – Direct Contributions over $100
Use to report contributions exceeding $100.
Schedule A Instructions
|Schedule F – Debts Remaining Unpaid
Use to itemize any outstanding debt that remains outstanding as of the current reporting period.
Schedule F Instructions
|Schedule B – In-Kind Contributions over $100
Use to report contributions of services rendered or goods whose value exceeds $100.
Schedule B Instructions
|Schedule G – Statement of Funds
Contributions, receipts, expenditures and loans that have occurred during the reporting cycle.
Schedule G Instructions
|Schedule C – Rebates, Refunds and Interest
Use to report receipts of refunds, rebates interest paid.
Schedule C Instructions
|Schedule H – Summary of Receipts and Disbursements
Contributions, receipts, expenditures and loans that have occurred during the committees duration.
Schedule H Instructions
|Schedule D – Itemization of Expenditures
Use to report all expenditures incurred by a committee.
Schedule D Instructions
|Schedule I – Surplus Funds Paid Out
Use to report the disposition of surplus funds.
Schedule I Instructions
|Schedule E – Itemization of Loans
Use to report the itemization of all loans received and/or repaid by a committee.
Schedule E Instructions
Commonly Requested Forms
- Request an Exemption from Electronic Filing Form
- Rescind a Request for Exemption from Electronic reporting Form
- Independent Expenditures Form