Candidates for office must meet certain qualifications and are required to file specific documents in order to qualify to appear on the ballot. These qualifications and requirements may vary slightly depending on whether the office sought is a local office, a general assembly seat, a statewide office, or a federal office. Generally, all candidates must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Be qualified to vote for and hold the office sought, and
- Be a resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia for one year immediately preceding the election.
The board has developed and published candidate informational bulletins specific to each office type. In addition to the qualifications, forms and filing requirements, candidate information bulletins provide candidates with information he/she will need to run for office.
Instructions for Potential Candidates
- Read the candidate bulletin for the office sought.
- Complete the Certificate of Candidate Qualification form for the office sought. This form may be filed any time after January 1 of the election year and before the filing deadline of the election. It must be filed before a candidate can purchase a registered voter’s list.
- Complete the necessary Campaign Finance documents and review the laws and policies for Campaign Committees.
- Complete the appropriate Statement of Economic Interest form, if required.
Non-incumbent candidates for Governor, Lt. Governor, Attorney General, the General Assembly, and constitutional office are required to file a Statement of Economic Interests as part of their candidacy application. They are required to do so using the Council's online filing system (per Va. Code 30-356). The Council may not accept this form via mail, email, fax, or hand delivery. In order to use this system, they must first be added to it. Such candidates can request to be added to the online filing system by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates for the General Assembly may view the form on the Council's website here: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/filing-resources.asp#members
Candidates for Governor, Lt. Governor, Attorney General, and constitutional office may view the form on the Council's website here: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/filing-resources.asp#employees
- Complete the Declaration of Candidacy form and Petition of Qualified Voter form ( petition is not required if candidate is participating in non-primary party nomination process ). These forms must be filed together on or before the filing deadline for the election.
- Declaration of Candidacy - for all offices except US President / Vice President
- Petition of Qualified Voters ( 8 1/2 x 11 Letter Size or 8 1/2 x 14 Legal Size ) - for all offices except US President / Vice President
If filing for Presidential Primary:
- Consent / Declaration of Candidacy - for the offices of US President / Vice President
- Petition of Qualified Voters for Presidential Primary ( 8 1/2 x 11 Letter Size or 8 1/2 x 14 Legal Size )
If filing for Presidential General Election:
- Petition of Qualified Voters for Electors for President and Vice-President ( 8 1/2 x 11 Letter Size or 8 1/2 x 14 Legal Size )
- Submit all qualifying forms by deadline specified in the Candidate Bulletin.